Sunday 16 June 2013

"Move your hips!"























































Sunday morning and finally a bit of time to relax.  I have officially been in Ghana one month and in that time I have spent one week in Accra, one week in Bolgatanga, one week in Tamale then back up to Bolgatanga for a few days, even further up to Tumu and  now back in Tamale.  Oh and I turned 33 OUFFF!  

On the up side Elizabeth and I have moved into our home for the next nine months.  Its very exciting.  Its a little two bedroom house, new build.  Our landlord accepted to furnish it so we have beds, a living room set, a stove and a refrigerator.  Today for the first time I had food that did not come from a restaurant. There have been so many chicken and rice meals it was great to have an apple with toast and jam and a bit of cucumber.   Imagine that, me excited about making food at home.  I’ve come to realize since I’ve been here that food and me, well its difficult.  I’m not very good at planning and in Africa if you get hungry it takes another two hours at least before you can put something in your stomach so planning is important.  


(chicken and rice)

(the kitchen)

(the living room)

We went to the market yesterday.  It was fun.  We were accompanied by a guy named Nash.  He has been driving us around and helping with all kinds of things for the past couple of weeks.  He is the brother of the guy (Mahshood) who found our house.  Mahshood used to work for Lydia.  They have all been very nice.  It makes things easier to have a Ghanaian with you.  They don’t diminish the stares but they do diminish the amount of people, men, who will talk to you.  I’m not gonna lie it is pretty intense.  For the first time in my life I stick out and nobody lets you forget it.  Mostly its harmless but it makes any outing very tiring.  I imagine after a few months I will be an old pro and it won’t be as difficult. 

A few weeks ago, when we were still at a guest house I decided to go for a little walk.  I could hear music down the street and was intrigued.  I turned the corner and saw a very large group of people walking and singing.  They were going to a church service i think.  There did not seem to be any kind of special occasion; no wedding couple, no sign of a  passing or baptism just what seemed to be a regular church service plus the walk with the singing and the dancing.  I know that church here is always a big deal.  I stood on the side of the road a little ways away and watched the colourful parade of people walk into the church yard.  I definitely had a “holy shit I’m in Africa” moment.  


(church celebration)

I also had my first street food experience; some fried yams.  I was not brave enough to try the street meat but that will come. The fried yams were cut like french fries but very large ones.  They were very starchy and I think they would be a bit better if they were cut smaller but it still good and I’m sure I’ll have them again. 



(street food)


(street meat)





At the hotel in Bolgatanga there is a pool. YES!!! We met Samantha there.  She is 9 and was staying at the hotel with her parents and little brothers. She desperately wanted us to teach her how to swim but seemed to think it would come instantly.  Instead, she taught us a few dance moves and thought we were very funny.  I was, shyly, trying to do one of the moves she taught us and she said with a little bit of sass in her Ghanian 9 year old voice “move your hips!” hahaha too funny.  Her parent’s were lovely as well and told us that when we get to the Takoradi region we should call and they would show us around.  Its interesting because as much as you get the men ogling you and asking your name and staring all the time you also get a kindness that in Canada would be more difficult to come by.  p.s. Most Ghanians in the North of the country do not know how to swim since there are no lakes in this part of the country.  


Last Friday, I went out at night for the first time since i’ve been here.  Elizabeth, originally from Mexico and Ecuador, managed to find a Salsa club here in Tamale.  We went with a group of expats.  The club is set up so that part of the night there are mini salsa lessons then the music comes up and you can dance on your own, well, with a partner.  I danced a few songs with a few different people.  Its fun.  I’m not a very good salsa dancer but with someone who knows how to lead I can manage pretty good.  Elizabeth was impressed so I guess I’m not that bad.  

(Elizabeth, Samantha and her brothers)

(working the goggles)



And here we are Sunday morning.  This week we are in Tamale and will visit the radio stations again.  We thought it would be wise to see them twice in the first month we work with them and try to get the ball rolling properly.  That means another trip to Bolgatanga and Tumu before the end of June.  I thought I would leave you with a few more animal photos and a few newspaper clippings. 



  
 (cow)




(chicken with chicks and garbage)
 
 (more cows)



(goats in the street)

(baby goats)

(donkey in the streets of Tumu)

(illegal Chinese miners want to go home)

(fashion fashion everywhere)





2 comments:

  1. OK.. you are too interesting! I only wish you would write more often. But, that's ok.. I'm sure you are too busy and I understand you have to live the experiences before you write about them. Happy that you now have permanent lodgings and that you will be able to prepare your own meals. Love, love all the pictures. Keep on enjoying and living this experience to the fullest. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Is. Amazing. I. Am super loving your blog. Keep em coming. Please send me a fbook message with your mailing address. I have something I want to send you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.